Valedictorian Speech (June 29th, 2018)

Good morning everyone. Thank you for taking time out of your day to celebrate this monumental moment in our young lives. My name is Aaron, I have been a student at FFCA since Grade 4, and I am honoured to have been chosen as this year’s Valedictorian.

Let’s start this story ALLLL the way back to the VERY FIRST day of kindergarten. From the moment we woke up, we were EXCITED about this new thing called school. With our shoes in hand and the latest backpack to show off, we marched into school like we owned the place. And I can bet ALL the parents in this room can remember that same first day. Maybe holding a bulky camera in hand, taking a lot of photos of our very first steps in school, and then experiencing the joy, pride, and of course, the tears rolling down your face as you drove away.

We went on the harrowing journey of elementary, where we experienced the dreaded phonics, the exciting field trips, and the anticipation for the recess bell to ring. And we survived, as we did with middle school.

And then came high school. We all had at least ONE of the following thoughts: A) ” I’m not wearing a burgundy uniform anymore”, B) “How do you even tie a tie?”, and C) “I get FULL lockers someday!” (HA.). High school became the real deal, embarking on a journey to discover our passions, interests, and identities as individuals.

Coming out on the other side, there are many things we want to leave behind. For example, our beloved long hallway, those math assignments that got us talking in those late night chats, and who could forget the rigourous fitness tests, because really, the standards for step-ups are crazy.

However, there are some things that we will cherish in our hearts WELL beyond high school. Because of our community as a grade and as a school, we took advantage of what high school had to offer us. The friends we made in unlikely places, those hangout spots at lunch, the cliques and niches we made for ourselves, we made memories we cannot replicate or recreate anywhere else. We made it okay to laugh at our embarrassing moments, we were okay to let loose and we were okay with being ourselves. The support system we had for each other got us places we never thought we could achieve and allowed us to enjoy life a little more every day. Those connections, those laughs, and those smiles are what we will cherish the most as we leave high school.

And also, we cannot forget about the incredible work of our staff. I do not know how many tears you have seen streaming down our faces, nor do I want to know how many hours it took to mark all of our tests, but I do want you to know how much we appreciate the work you do for us.

By taking the time to build connections and develop understanding, teachers, you have given us the best gift students can ask for: a comfortable space. You have played a key role in the culture of our school, in terms of making it normal for us to ask questions face-to-face. By supporting us through tough times, you showed your dedication to ensuring that as students, we were as successful as we could be. So teachers and staff, you also have made it to the finish line. You have the glory of seeing us leave the nest and enter the real world, so can we please have a round of applause for our staff! And just like Groundhog’s Day, you get to start ALL over again, but with new faces in your seats. 

Leaving high school, I carry many regrets, such as not joining Choir or APLA, which Hunnisett will never let me live down. However, my BIGGEST regret in high school is not living. And I mean TRULY living. Let me explain.

As humans, our memories are connected to our emotions. The most vivid memories are attached to the most visceral emotions. Which do you remember better: your Grade 9 marks or the nervousness, anxiousness, and stress you felt BEFORE giving one of your FAVOURITE high school presentations in FRONT of an ENTIRE class? And thinking about it, the moments we remember the best are the ones we did not expect.

A most recent example of this for me was the first night of Class Acts and the night Baby was performed. I did not expect to stay afterschool that day, I did not expect to go through a rollercoaster of emotions, and I did not expect to let go and enjoy the present moment unfolding in front of me. Whether it is through sports, friends, dances, drama, extra-curriculars, and anything else that you have been involved in, it is these tangible memories, these unforgettable connections, these life – changing moments that define what high school should be like.

This lesson of truly living is for all of us to understand, both for those graduating and for those in younger grades. Therefore, my challenge to everyone as we leave today is to live. Live for the opportunities that force you to step out of your comfort zone and take risks, live for those who were once in your footsteps, live for those who will follow in your footsteps, and most importantly, live for YOU because THAT is the best gift ANYONE can ever ask for.

Over all the tears and sleepless nights, my friends, this 13-year journey was a rough one. But in front of me, in each seat, is someone that has gone through the emotions, stress, low points, and high points, and persevered to arrive at this monumental milestone. And you better believe that you deserve to be in this room right now because you worked for it, you fought for it, and you earned it 100%! So Class of 2018, please give it up for yourselves! WE MADE IT!! It has been a pleasure to be with you all, and I wish you all the best for your future, wherever it may be.

And before I leave, I would like to end off with a class selfie. Say cheese, everyone! (Pull out a phone and take a selfie!)