December 2017

(Images are taken from the Goodreads website link attached to title of the book)
(Included are my ratings and my personal descriptors of the book.)

December 2017:
1) The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And DisappearedJonas Jonasson (384 of 384 pages) (4/5 Stars)

(Comedic, Historical Fiction, A Peculiar Read That Achieves Full Circle)

2) Fahrenheit 451 ~ Ray Bradbury (190 of 190 pages) (5/5 Stars)
(Futuristic Look Into Humanity, The Idea of Freedom of Thought and Conformity, Exploration of a Timeless Concept)

3) A Streetcar Named Desire ~ Tennessee Williams (192 of 192 pages) (4/5 Stars)

Total Pages Read: 645 pages (21 pages/day)

For Jonas Jonasson’s novel, The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared, it is certainly a candy read. I must say that this novel is not the kind of novels that I read often, in terms of it not making sense at some points. For example, the way the centenarian, Allan, approaches his life and the events that he gets involved in, but I realize that this novel is to be approached with a lighthearted lens. I gave this novel a 4 out of 5 stars because although some of the events that happen may be preposterous at some points, the full circle concept of this novel was phenomenal. Some decisions that Allan made in his past influenced how some of the events played out in his favour, along with the seamless marriage of the two timelines at the end of the novel certainly created a sense of closure for the reader.

With Fahrenheit 451, we follow a man named Guy Montag and his job is to burn books for a living. However, as we progress throughout the novel, he becomes curious about what he is burning, and why. He begins to question the system, and as a result, he begins to face consequences of a technologically addicted society that will not defend the power that books have the capability of holding. I gave this a 5 out of 5 star rating because of how Mr. Bradbury makes this plotline seem as though a plausible pathway for our society in the future. After reading this, I would certainly consider this one of the few classics in literature that I hope individuals have a chance to read, as it can open our eyes to what could happen when books are feared, rather than revered.

For Tennessee Williams’ play, A Streetcar Named Desire, I am still figuring out and processing what the play is discussing, but I am giving it a 4 out of 5 stars for the realistic character development that occurred throughout the play (such as Blanche’s character degeneration in the last two scenes), along with the amount of symbols that I have identified, such as the colours and music, but have yet to figure out what each symbolizes. Overall, it was a very intriguing read that I am certainly going to read again to connect the dots on my findings.