Me, The Student

• Discuss an “Aha” from Creative Writing class.
    • Some moments of epiphany was that creativity comes at the most random times, and you embrace what happens. Some nights, I may be lying in bed, getting ready to sleep when a thought comes to my mind. It’s like a fleeting thought, here in one moment and gone in the next instance. As a result of having these thoughts of lines for a new poem or ideas to explore, I physically get up and write it on a piece of paper, since I know that these ideas are golden if I take advantage of my bursts of inspiration.
    • Another lesson I have realized in Creative Writing is that writing any kind of piece, whether it be non-fiction or poetry, revisions and reworking the words, structure, or rhetorical devices is inevitable. A slight word change there, reshaping the structure, it can be compared to a sculpture, slowly being molded to perfection. I knew that it took a lot of commitment, but until this semester, I didn’t realize to what extent.
    • One habit that I want to break is the hesitation I have when something doesn’t sound the greatest. Sometimes, as I write, I may stop myself to figure out a better word for the section that I am dissatisfied with, resulting in me losing my train of thought. By realizing the importance of a controlled stream of consciousness, I know that in order to edit, I need content. And content comes from putting that pen on paper and not stopping until I think I can stop.
    • By being in this class, I understood the power of community. My Creative Writing teacher encourages us to comment on other blogs in the class, and by pushing us to do that, not only are we developing our skill of providing constructive feedback, but also getting a sense of how my work has the ability to reach many ends of the Internet, and affect those who read my words.
    • And finally, one of the lessons I learned was from the pieces written by Shane Koyczan. After listening to his performances and pieces, I learned that I can write poems that are not meant to be said, but meant to be heard. Such as Mr. Koyczan’s flow and lyricism with his lines and words to the point they flow naturally and effortlessly, I aspire to work on that skill of flow and lyricism.
    • Some pieces that are my personal favourites at this moment in time is “How To Live (An Emulation from Charles Harper Webb)” because this has been one of the lighter pieces that I have posted on my blog, and it has some personal experiences and messages I want myself to realize intertwined in the words and ideas explored. It kind of is a letter to myself, but in poetic form, and I love it.
    • Another piece that I am very proud of is my poem, “Self Induced”, where I catalog my first day of Grade 12, and how I experience the world on a daily basis. Stress has a big influence on my daily lifestyle, as I am involved in many extracurriculars at my school and take my academics seriously. As a result of my very calculated mentality focused on productivity, I set unrealistic expectations, and forget that I am human and can make mistakes. That was what I cataloged in “Self Induced”.

• What have you accomplished as a reader?

• Read more of the classics, such as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Fahrenheit 451, A Streetcar Named Desire
    • Allocating more time to have the ability to read more books.
    • Paying more attention to the literary aspects of novels, such as symbolism, plot, character development, and more.

• What is your PLAN to read next?
    • Most of the ELA 30-1 novels, such as Poisonwood Bible, The Great Gatsby, The Stone Angel, Jade Peony, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and Night

• Discuss the best book you read this semester.
    From: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14891.A_Tree_Grows_in_Brooklyn

• I chose A Tree Grows in Brooklyn as this was my novel for my Writer’s Seminar. I considered it my best book because of how it explored my interests, such as the progression from childhood to adulthood, the loss of innocence, the imagery, and the character development throughout the novel.
    • The way the novel was formatted into five “books”, along with her use of simple and complex sentences for descriptions, I was able to create a connection with this book and would say that this is one of the lesser known classics, but is certainly one of my favourites.

• How does reading improve your writing?
    • It gives perspective on ideas that you never thought of before, allows me to be more knowledgeable in different topics that are pertaining to current events or topics that I am interested in exploring.

• What have you accomplished as a writer? What is your PLAN to write next?

• The ability to express myself and catch myself on habits that I have as a writer, such as second-guessing myself on whether or not what I am writing is perfect.
    • Also understanding that it is more important to get my ideas down than to refine them in the moment as I lose my train of thought and forget any other ideas I wanted to say on the topic.
    • What I plan to write next is more short stories, but probably will stick to poetry when the time comes, such as the most recent one, “Hope From a Wishing Well”, inspired by the film, La La Land.

• Will you take Creative Writing again? Why? Why not?
    • As someone who needs an outlet for the stress and creativity in my life when I am a science-oriented individual who observes the world on a constant basis, YES, I would certainly take CWR again.
    • With CWR, it allows me to have the ability to share my perspectives in a safe environment and also have the ability to have an audience that I can share my materials with and get immediate feedback on what went well and what to improve.
    • By continuing in CWR, it creates some time set aside for me to focus on the moment and the present and created a space for me to relax and take my time, as compared to the stress and the constant movement of the life of a high-school student.

• What are your next steps to improve as a writer?
    • be more vigilant of the way I structure my pieces,
    • go out in the world more often (such as going for walks outside)
    • look at more professional bloggers and follow more people who use blogs to see how they approach their blogging responsibilities