May 2019

(Images are taken from the Goodreads website link attached to the title of the book)
(Included are my ratings and my personal descriptors of the book.)

May 2019:

Total Books Read: 2

Total Pages Read: 756 pages 

1) The Golem and The JinniHelene Wecker (5/5 Stars) (484 of 484 pages) (Intricate Craft of Historical Fiction and Yiddish and Middle Eastern Stories, Phenomenal Characterization, Worth The Read)

Although I am not as familiar with the histories and tales in Middle Eastern and Yiddish literature, it was not required to understand this novel. In fact, there is some historical background and significance of the Golem and the Jinni integrated into the plotline of this novel, so that should not be a barrier for you in taking this novel for a read. This novel is not action-packed, but rather, a novel that delves deep into the human condition through the two mystical characters of Golem and Jinni. With the way the two character plotlines were explored, and the eventual intersection between the two characters, it was very well-crafted, which allowed me to tolerate my decision to read a novel encroaching upon the 500-page threshold. I felt that 484 pages was suitable for this novel, as it allowed me and Ms. Wecker to fully explore the characters, their behaviours, histories, flaws, and motivations. Overall, this novel was VERY well-written, with a little plot twist near the end I was unprepared for. There seems to be a sequel to this novel, but I believe that how this novel concluded was a very distinct one, leaving me content and would recommend this to other fellow readers.

2) Monoceros Suzette Mayr (2/5 Stars) (272 of 272 pages) (Peculiar Plot Line, Did Not Understand, Felt Disconnected) 

A friend of mine recommended me this novel, and although I appreciated the recommendation, I personally was not able to comprehend what was happening in the novel besides what was written in the summary at the back of the book. I enjoyed the attempt at addressing the theme of suicide and the Catholic School System, but with the consistent changes in the perspectives, peculiar plotline, and minimal investment in character development, I was not able to fully immerse myself in the novel like I wanted to. I feel it was a miss for me, but others may see it differently.